Saturday, December 29, 2007

It sure sucks blogging when.....

.....You are losing at poker. I've played two online sessions since my last post and I had pretty big losing sessions both times. I played decent both sessions until the very end of them which caused me to quit the sessions. Enough about the hard luck at the tables I have done lots since my last post....

Our soup kitchen experience didn't quite go as planned...we showed up at 7:00 and apparently they moved it up an hour from last year to a 6:00 start time. By the time we got there they were almost totally done cleaning up and there was nothing left for us to do. We were all pretty bummed as we were really looking forward to doing something nice around the holidays. We ended up going to check out the amazingly gaudy Christmas decorations at a house by Bosse field in Evansville (I think it is on Oregon St. and I am sure it will be up through New Years). You should go check it out it if you get a chance...it puts Clark Griswold to shame! In fact, you don't even have to leave your house....here it is for your viewing pleasure!



How is that for some fancy blogging technology?!

Anyway, then we went to the lackluster Ritzy's Fantasy of Lights and then to Justin's house to play some euchre. Then the following morning Justin and I went to the Pie Pan for about the 3rd time since I've been home. Justin and I had always talked about how one day we hoped to be the old man with lots of money that would secretly pay for random people's meals when out at restaurants. A local golf pro from Evansville does this almost every time I see him out in public....a whole group of us will finish eating our meal and our waitress will come and say that our meal has been taken care of by Mr. Hamilton. Of course you always look around to thank him and he is no where to be found. Every now and then (usually only if it is a good looking girl) I will pay for the order of the car behind me when I am in a fast food drive through and I almost always pay for the car behind me when I go through a toll booth. Well, today Justin and I decided that since we didn't get to help out at the soup kitchen like we wanted we were going to do something nice and pay for everyone's meal that was eating in the Pie Pan. At the Pie Pan they leave your ticket at your table when they bring you your food so we had our server round up all the tickets that hand been handed out and bring them to us. We estimated it would cost us around $220 to cover everyone's check, but it ended up only being $115 after tip. That place is so cheap it almost felt like stealing even when we were paying for everyone's meal, haha. It feels good to do stuff like that and I recommend that you try to look for a spot to do a random act of kindness sometime soon. It just makes everyone involved happy.

Last night we went to Andy's house and had an impromptu game night. I LOVE a good game night! We played pool (broke even), spades (lost $50), euchre (didn't gamble), pass the trash/screw your neighbor (lost $5), spoons (won $12), and clabber (didn't gamble). It had been a LONG time since I played any clabber, and let me tell ya...it ain't easy switching back and forth between euchre and clabber. Their rules are so similar yet they are such different games. My favorite game of the night was by far spoons though. I hadn't played it since I was a kid, but I forgot how much fun it was to get your 4 of a kind first and sneakily get your spoon without anyone else noticing and then sitting back and watching everyone figure it out one at a time!

These games were so much fun because everyone playing was HIGHLY competitive. The money was meaningless, but these were the most strategically thought out $5 pool matches you have ever seen. You wouldn't think someone that wins and loses thousands of dollars everyday playing poker would get 10 times more upset about being the last person to notice that all of the spoons had been taken in a $5 spoons game than they would about a $500 beat on the river....if you don't believe it just ask Clint and Charlie about it!

It sure sucks sitting down to start writing a blog sometimes, but once I get going it is hard for me to stop. I laughed out loud a lot writing this one and it was actually pretty enjoyable. I am gonna have to cut myself off for now though. So until next time....try and do a random act of kindness and leave me a comment about it.

No comments: