Friday, December 14, 2007

A lousy play and some new goals...

12/13/07

Poker hasn't gone as I had planned with all my playing before I left for Christmas vacation. I have been playing everyday like I planned, but I have lost the last 3 sessions. The first one I lost because I lost the $700 in cash. The second session I lost because I never made any hands and I ended up losing $2,222. In fact, I only won one showdown the entire night when I got it all in with QQ vs. AQ for about $300 each. Tonight, it was going really well and I was up about $800 before I lost about $1200 with KK vs. AA and I ended up losing $404 for the night. It was such a bad play on my part. It was a situation where I definitely should have been able to fold my KK preflop. It is so sick where I KNOW what the right play is and I go against it, because I let the little voice in my head say "There is never a situation to fold KK preflop". I knew he had Aces and somehow I talked myself into putting $900 more in when I could have just lost the $280 that I already had in. So disturbing, but hopefully I will learn from it and make a better decision next time. I decided that next time I am in a situation where I think I am beat with AK, KK, or AQ preflop I am going to make myself stop and actually verbalize what my options are and what could happen. In this spot I could fold and lose no more money, go all-in and lose $900 more, or go all-in and win $1500. There was like a zero % chance that he didn't have Aces and I am ridiculous for going all-in now that I think about it. I mean who really cares if I lose $280??? Sometimes I do such a horrible job of looking at the hand from an outsider's perspective and I let myself get caught up in the hand too much and it almost always leads to a bad play on my part. I am really disappointed that I showed so little discipline on that specific hand. Oh well, get em next time.

So, I was up $2899 and then I lost $2,222 and $404 in consecutive sessions so that puts me +$273 for the 5 days I have played. That is a pretty big let down considering I have played pretty well except for the KK vs. AA hand. Anyway, I still have 2 more days of playing left and I need to win $6,723 in those two days. Obviously, that isn't going to happen, but I can easily win $1,000 each day and still show a decent profit for the 7 day period.

I borrowed a book from Bobby Morgan tonight on investing in foreclosures. Apparently, Vegas is among the leaders in the country regarding foreclosures. I am going to try to really get educated about the housing market and aim to buy a foreclosure property at the end of our current lease. I always have big dreams like this, but I hope that if I write some of my goals down they will be more easily attained.

Right now my bankroll is somewhere around $40K and our lease is over at the end of June.

Goals:

1. Have bankroll to $80K by the end of our lease.
2. Get educated about the foreclosure and housing market by end of March.
3. Meet with banks to discuss me buying a house during April.
4. Find a house to buy from beginning of May to the end of June.
5. Buy house at the end of June.

No comments: