Friday, July 25, 2008

Its official....

I am the worst friend/person ever. Landon has been looking forward to me playing in his member/guest golf tournament for about 3 years now I believe. I used to never be able to play in it because it corresponded with the Evansville City Golf tournament. Landon was secretly (not very secretively I might add) happy that I got disqualified from the City tourney last year because that meant I would be able to play with him in his member/guest golf tourney. In order to play in it you have to have a GHIN handicap card and it is apparently a pretty big deal with all of the extra stuff that goes along with the tournament such as a calcutta and banquet. There is also a really long waiting list to get into the tournament. After quite a bit of trouble I finally got my GHIN handicap card in working order and we were one of the last teams to get into the field. Once we found out we were in I booked my flight. Finally, all of the pieces were in place for Landon and I to play in his Member/Guest tourney.....

I played online all day and left my phone in my bedroom. When I finally looked at my phone I had 3 missed calls and a text message from Jeff saying that he needed a caddie for this week in Reno! The last time Jeff called me at the last second to have me caddy for him Derek and Joey were in town and I decided to be a good friend and turned Jeff down. I instantly regretted it and while I had a great time with Derek and Joey it is a sickening feeling to pass up such a great opportunity. Before I called Jeff I called Landon to tell him the position I was in. He was very understanding and said something like very fatherly like "I won't be mad at you if you choose to caddy for Jeff...I know it is a good opportunity for you...I'll just be dissapointed". Thats my favorite quality of Landon as a friend is that is totally honest with you and is probably the most rational person I know.

So, its official, I am the worst friend ever and I let Landon down by telling him that I couldn't play in his tournament that we had been planning on on playing in for so long. I know he was looking forward to this tournament a lot and I feel like the biggest jerk ever for backing out. I feel like one of my best qualities as a friend is that I'll never let you down under any circumstances. As my buddy Clint likes to say..."If I say I am gonna go fishing with you, you might as well start the grease". Well, I this time I left Landon stranded with a pan full of hot grease. I feel like I have a pretty good reason and I think he understands.

I'm sorry Landon :(

The good news...I'll be caddying for Jeff in the Reno/Tahoe Open July 31- August 3rd when he wins his first PGA Tour Event!

No comments: