Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sigh.....

Well, my day two of the main event didn't last too long. I was all-in on my very first hand. The big blind had not showed up to the table yet and it folded around to me on the button. I looked down at 33 and decided just to move in for 11K, because the small blind was the only person I had to worry about and he was pretty short as well. He thought for a while before folding and showing Ace Ten off suit. I had to remember not to make too many moves on him if he thought that long with that hand. Oh well, it was a decent start.

Then I did my standard go card dead late in tourneys move. Our table broke really quickly and I got moved to a table with some much bigger stacks and no one that was very close to being as short as I was. I won the blinds once there, but had blinded down to $8400 about an hour and a half into the day. Another short stack (around 11K) raised in late position to 1700 and I looked down at AK of hearts. I instantly knew I was moving in, but I waiting for a little bit to make him think I had a marginal decision. I moved in for 8400 total and he thought for a bit before calling with AJ off suit which made 18K exactly in the pot. The flop was Q98 the turn was a Q and the river was a T. He made a straight and I was out. If you are going to do well in tourneys you are going to have to win some races at some point. I only got in two the whole time my AK vs. K3s and my AKs vs. AJo. I had them dominated both times and only won one of them. Oh well, that is what happens in tournaments and is also the reason I don't like them. Although, I can't really complain, because the structure in the main event is amazing and plays much more like a cash game than any other tournament you are ever going to play in. Eventually, the blinds will have to play a factor, but you certainly get plenty of play in it.

I took all 3 days off from poker in between playing so I feel pretty fresh and it is time to get back on the grind and win some money.

1 comment:

sewster said...

Darn. I was thinking about you all day yesterday, wondering what was happening. Oh well, 2 days is better than 1. Mom