Sunday, January 6, 2008

Traveling SUCKS!!

Ok, so really I love to travel, but the actual act of traveling really does suck. I am currently in Hawaii for the next 10 days and I love it. However, getting here (or anywhere that is half-way around the world) is one of the most miserable experiences EVER. I had to wake up at 10:00 am Evansville time to start packing so I could leave by noon to make it to Indianapolis so that Mom would be able to make it home at a decent hour. Then I met up with Robin and she drove us to her sister's house in Chicago. We woke up at 7:03 am to give ourselves just enough to time to drive to a free parking lot and catch a $20 cab ride to the airport so that I could make my flight that was to begin boarding at 9:14 am. Once I got on the plane I took my seat EXACTLY in the middle of the row. I had seat 28E and the seats were arranged like this: AB CDEFG H. That meant I would not be able to rest my head anywhere but on my chest, straight back, or with my forehead smashed against the back of the seat in front of me (this is actually the one I used most often). Also, being in the middle meant that if I ever wanted to go to the bathroom I would have to wake up two complete strangers to make it to the isle. Oh well, this wouldn't be too bad, I could tough it out....for 10.5 HOURS!!! Just to be sure it really sucked they had us sit on the runway for about an hour doing whatever they do when the decide to waste time before we took off. Oh yeah, did I mention that I wasn't flying direct to Honolulu? Of course I wasn't, I had to land in Maui and catch a flight back to Honolulu. Since we were late taking off it was going to be tight whether we made it on our connecting flight and they were nice enough to let us know that the flight would not be held for us if we missed it (code for: you better run when we let you off here). I made it to my connecting flight, but of course they didn't have time to get our luggage on our flight with us. Therefore, I had to wait about an hour for my luggage to catch back up to me on the next flight from Maui to Honolulu. Then it was a $40 cab ride to the hotel. Then Jeff and I had a misunderstanding on which hotel I was going to and I had to walk down the strip with my luggage while wearing my jeans and sweatshirt (it is hot here, btw) for about 5 minutes.

I know all that sounds terrible, but it is all worth it when you can go from throwing snow balls in the morning (in Chicago) to throwing seashells in the Pacific Ocean later that night.

I know this seems like an unwarranted gripe blog, but it is actually a hidden "eat your heart out" blog. It did suck traveling, but I am lucky to be here and I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to make it back to Hawaii. Jeff and Robin just called to give me a hard time about being in the room and not down on the beach with them throwing the football, so that is where I am heading.
Aloha for now and mahalo for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a good time already. Don't spend anymore time in the room other than to sleep and shower. Hawaii is great as you know. Enjoy both the island and the golf.

Dad