Thursday, January 17, 2008

Airplane Blog...

First off, I am writing this blog while I am on the plane ride home and I am sure it is going to be pretty long. Sorry about the length, but if you don't like it I don't care :) It is sooo boring on here and I have nothing else to do.

I didn't update my blog too much while I was in Hawaii, but I think that is pretty reasonable. I also didn't check any of my voice mails and/or answer many phone calls while I was there. If you are reading this and felt like you were getting the could shoulder while I was in Hawaii....I guess you kinda were, but it wasn't for any reason other than that I was in Hawaii and didn't feel like spending my time on the phone.

Well, In my last blog I mentioned how Jeff hit the ball worse than I had ever seen him hit it yet managed to scrape it around in 2 under par for his first round....I guess it finally caught up to him for Friday's round. During Thursday's round he made a very prophetic statement even though he said it somewhat half-heartedly. He had hit it all over the place for the first few holes while remaining even par when he hit a poor tee shot on his 4th or 5th hole leaving him in the deep rough and right behind a tree. He tried to cut it around the tree, but his shot jumped right and hit the tree square which luckily kicked it back out into the middle of the fairway. He ended up making a great up and down from about 140 yards to save par. Feeling as though he was lucky to still be at even par even after hitting it so bad to start out, he looked at me on the way to the next tee box laughed and said "We are just delaying the inevitable". What he meant was, it didn't really matter that he just made that amazing par save, he couldn't expect to keep scoring so well while he was hitting it so poorly and eventually the bogeys were going to come. He managed to hold it together for the rest of Thursday's round, but boy did it catch up to him on Friday's round! It started on the first hole. He hit it right off the tee and ended up in the deep rough and behind a tree again. He tried to punch out to the fairway, but the rough turned his club over and he hit it through the fairway and into the left rough behind another tree. His only shot was to hit it in the green side bunker and from there he couldn't get it up and down. All the sudden he was back to even par after a double bogey on the opening hole. It only got worse from there and he ended up shooting a 77 for a two day total of 5 over par missing the cut by 6 shots. He said it was the most embarrassing round of golf he had ever played. Also, it tied for the highest round of golf he has shot since his sophomore year in college. Its pretty amazing to think that 99.9% of the golfing world would LOVE to shoot what he shoots on his worst day ever. So he missed the cut...now we were forced to spend more time at the beach, laying by the pool, eating at nice restaurants, and site seeing in Hawaii...what a bummer! He took almost the whole winter off and only practiced for about a week prior to the tournament so it wasn't so unexpected that he would play poorly in Hawaii. He has now vowed to never take so much time off in the winter again...you live and learn. He is so competitive that he will get back on track sooner than you'd expect and he'll be ready to go for his next tournament, The FBR, which is played in Phoenix in front of about 100K people and going on during the super bowl!

Yesterday we went to the North Shore to see some BIG waves. They were expecting some storm winds and 30 ft. waves which would be bigger than they have had in 3 years. They have some huge surfing competition in Hawaii, but they only have it when the waves get to 30 ft. or more so they had all of the world's best surfers on high alert that the competition might be going down within the next few days. I don't think they ended up getting high enough, but they were still very impressive. The waves were awesome to look at, but I was very dissapointed to find out that they would not allow any swimming by anyone that they deemed to be inexperienced and/or not local. I mean who are they to tell me that I don't get a chance to drown myself playing in the biggest waves I've ever seen?!? Of course I didn't want to go into the 30 ft. waves, but I REALLY wanted to play in/body surf in the huge (I'm guessing 8-10 ft.) waves that were crashing right near the shore. They had it roped off, but I couldn't help myself and got in anyway. A lifeguard immediately drove over on his 4-wheeler to kick me out of the water....what a bad break! Anyway, eventhough I couldn't enjoy the waves myself it was still pretty cool seeing the surfers getting out to the bigger waves and then riding back in once they made it. By the way, in case you have never been surfing...it is MUCH harder getting out to the waves than it is riding them back in, in my opinion.


This is a picture of me pouting about not being allowed to swim in the "dangerous" ocean....before my curiosity got the best of me!

Overall, I had a great time in Hawaii and I am thankful that I got a good vacation in to start the new year. As great as Hawaii is nothing keeps me as entertained as playing poker. I am really anxious to get back to Vegas and start grinding again. When I say grinding I don't mean anything too crazy. I want to try to play quite a bit though. I'll set some quick goals and see if I can stick to them in the near future....

1. Average 1200 hands/day until I leave for Louisville.
2. Win $5500 before I leave for Louisville.

I am leaving for Louisville around the 29th or so these should be pretty simple goals. I have played enough in my first two days since I've been home, but I am down a little bit (maybe $200 or so?) during that time.

I promise to have more poker content in my upcoming blogs.

No comments: