Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I don't even know how it is possible....

After yesterday's session I felt like I was totally on top of my game and $400 NL was a breeze again. Basically, it felt like there was no way I could lose for any given day if I played a decent amount of hands. Well, guess what? I was wrong :( I played for almost 5 hours and 3700 hands....I lost $2,457. It was so easy yesterday and then today nothing went my way. It is really frustrating that about the last 6 sessions I have played have been either huge losing ones or huge winning ones. Today it seemed like the games were full of regulars and I was playing my hand face up. They were floating me left and right, most of my bluffs got picked off, I couldn't win any races, and I never made a bigger hand when they had a big hand. I am not complaining about my bad luck I am just complaining that it always seems to come in bunches which makes it much harder to play your best on those days. For instance, I ran AKs into AA twice and AKo into QQ twice today for full buy-ins each time. I had AA twenty times today which is above average and I won with it 19 of the 20 times....the only problem is that I won the blinds or got a walk 12 of those times and I only made more than $45 with it once ($115).

It is going to be near impossible to ever have a winning day when all of those things happen, but I certainly could have lost less than I did if I would have continued to play my best. I didn't do any crazy tilting or anything, but I could have minimized my losses better than I did.

One good thing that happened today was a really fun thing that took place during a hand that I have been waiting to pounce on for a really long time. I hardly ever post hands, but this one is kind of fun. I will tell you my thoughts behind it afterwards. Here it is....see if you can spot why I made such a crazy play and still felt really confident about it.

Full Tilt Poker Game #6508404828: Table Cranwood (6 max) - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 16:10:20 ET - 2008/05/21
Seat 1: Smoki nNuggets ($376.10)
Seat 2: niceandsleazy20 ($211.40)
Seat 3: OliveStech ($412.10)
Seat 4: Lvl18Wizard ($400)
Seat 5: themightyjim ($417.50)
Seat 6: thakilla ($557.80)
themightyjim posts the small blind of $2
thakilla posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #3

Holecards:
Dealt to thakilla [ ]
Smoki nNuggets folds
niceandsleazy20 folds
OliveStech folds
themightyjim raises to $14
thakilla has 15 seconds left to act
thakilla calls $10

Flop : (Pot: $30)
[ ]
themightyjim has 15 seconds left to act
themightyjim bets $222
thakilla has 15 seconds left to act
thakilla has requested TIME
thakilla raises to $543.80 and is all in
themightyjim calls $181.50 and is all in
thakilla shows [ ]
themightyjim shows [ ]
Uncalled bet of $140 .30 returned to thakilla

Turn : (Pot: $1117.6)
[ ] [ ]

River: (Pot: $1117.6)
[ ] [ ]
thakilla shows two pair Jacks and Nines
themightyjim shows two pair Jacks and Threes
thakilla wins the pot ($832) with two pair Jacks and Nines
themightyjim: lol
themightyjim adds $400

SUMMARY:
Total pot $835 | Rake $3
Board:
[ ]
Seat 1: Smoki nNuggets didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: niceandsleazy20 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: OliveStech (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: Lvl18Wizard is sitting out
Seat 5: themightyjim (small blind) showed [ ] and lost with two pair Jacks and Threes
Seat 6: thakilla (big blind) showed [ ] and won ($832) with two pair, Jacks and Nines


His bet seemed so strange to me and usually when someone makes an insane overbet like this they are trying to induce an incorrect hero call. However, usually when this type of bet is made it is on the river and people will make horrible calls because they don't have to fear anymore betting on later streets. Since his bet was on the flop and we still had plenty of money left to play with it raised a red flag to me. I thought to myself...could he have meant to just make a standard continuation bet and just made a typo? There was $28 in the pot and he bet $222. I rationalized that he meant to make a really standard C-bet of $22 and accidentally hit an extra "2". Even though I thought he had made a typo that didn't mean that I had to have the best hand. There are tons of hands that are ahead of mine that he would have been trying to C-bet with just the same as he did this time. I decided to go with my gut and stick the rest in. He obviously felt pot committed and probably a little foolish for having misclicked, because he instantly called my all-in raise. Once I saw I was right I still had to sweat the cards to come as he still had some outs. I was thinking "No ace or jack, no ace or jack" and when the jack hit on the river I thought I had lost the pot for a second. I didn't even realize the jack made me two pair....shew!

Here was the chat following the hand....
themightyjim: lol
themightyjim: misclick
thakilla:I knew it was a misclick....am I right?
themightyjim: oh yeah
themightyjim: slipped on my laptop
themightyjim: nice play
themightyjim: brutal result
thakilla: ya pretty brutal


It is fun when you think outside the box and it pays off.

Back to the grind tomorrow, lets hope tomorrow is one of the easy poker days.

No comments: