Sunday, January 4, 2009

Two blogs in one....

1st Blog:

Goals: 2009

I predict that 2009 will be the most productive year of my fairly young poker career. That is saying quite a bit considering the year I had in 2008. I am not even sure how much money I won in 2008, because I did not keep as accurate records as I used to in the past or as I plan on doing in the future. I know how much I won online in Hold’em cash games on full tilt and poker stars and I can also get a fairly accurate estimate of my online tournament win and/or losses. However, I have almost no idea how I did in live poker for the year in cash games and/or tournaments. I know I was profitable in live cash games and I am sure I lost money in live tournaments, but to what degree I can’t be certain of either one. In 2009 I will keep an excel spreadsheet with all of my live wins and losses documented. I am also going to attempt to keep an accurate record of all of my spending using excel as well.

These are my goals for 2009 in order of importance.

1. Improve my poker game on a daily basis as much as possible.
2. Buy a house.
3. Play 1300 hours of online cash games and log 600,000 hands.
a. This equates to playing about 31 hours per week for 42 weeks per year and averaging around 6 tables at a time.
b. At my current lifetime win rate of around $118/hour I would make around $150,000 and I think I can realistically expect to make over $220,000 at the limits I plan on playing (3/6 and higher) with the potential to make $300k+
4. Weigh 200 pounds or less by 2010, I am currently around 225 pounds after an astronomical surge in weight gain caused by my week in Cabo.
5. Save a minimum of $10,000 in some form for retirement and $15,000 in other general investments.
6. Prepare to buy a second house sometime in 2010.
7. Get married and have kids….GOTCHA!

I can’t think of any other specific goals at this point, but I know there are more things that I want to accomplish. I will hopefully add to these sometime before I post this blog around the first of the year.

Sigh...just for kicks I went back and looked to see if I had a blog with resolutions for a 2008. I did and guess what they were? To keep better records and buy a house....I suck. Hopefully this year I will do it, but my track record doesn't speak highly of itself. One thing I did do was maintain this blog and there is something to be said for that.
2nd Blog:

You say you want a revolution?

It is something very simple, but it really bugs me. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people fail to take into account an entire group of people’s feelings when making personal decisions. For example, one of the things that has consistently made me more upset than just about anything else I can think of is when “teammates” decide to not show up for a rec sports league game. I can’t tell you how furious it has made me in the past to show up to rec basketball games and without warning we end up having to play the game with 5 players or even worse…with 4 players. Hopefully, these people don’t think it about the consequences of their choice and just say to themselves “Well, it isn’t a big deal to me if I don’t play tonight and surely the rest of them team won’t be upset if I cause us to lose by not showing up”. It just seems so inconsiderate to the point that it is unfathomable to me to all but force your other teammates into a loss by not showing up or warning them you aren’t coming. Anyway, my newest complaint has nothing to do with rec sports leagues, but is more about failing to take other people into consideration when making a personal decision.

When you are the first person in line when you are using an escalator or one of the flat versions referred to as “people movers” you should realize that your decision DOES affect everyone behind you. If you decide to stand and not actively walk up an escalator when you are first in line you have affectively made the choice for everyone behind you that being lazy and standing is the preferred method to use the escalator. Sure, someone that wants to walk up the escalator has the option to be the jerk that excuses himself as he bumps into everyone as he passes the people who decide to stand, but nobody wants to be that guy. So my solution is simple: If there are people behind you on an escalator either actively walk up or down the escalator or clearly move to the side so they can pass with ease.

Personally, I like to walk up them and it really bugs me when someone else decides that I would rather be lazy and ride up them at the snail’s pace that they go by standing obliviously in the middle of the staircase. Clearly someone else has thought of this, because some people movers have painted instructions on the floor telling you which side to stand or walk in. Some of them even have audio warnings telling you to let walkers pass if you decide to stand. Despite these instructions, people still decide all the time that the people behind them would rather stand instead of walk when they choose to stand in the middle of the lane or side-by-side with their partner as they take up both the standing and walking lanes.

Moral of the blog: Think about how your decisions affect other people. Also, GET OUT OF THE WAY YOU LAZY INCONSIDERATE JERK!

End of rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People movers are made to allow the choice to stand or walk - wide enough to allow passing - and usually found where longer distances of walking are required -stand and take a break if tired or walk if in a hurry. Escalaters are a convenience in liu of walking up a flight of stairs and are meant for riding, hence only wide enough for one person with packages.

gqb30612 said...

Maybe instead of painted guidelines or the rare voice guidance, we can somehow install technology that will cause punitive electric shocks to stationary riders. In addition, I think the escalators should move at at least five times the current speeds. I realize some horrible escalator accidents have occurred, but I contend the minutes saved would outweigh the long-run negative expectation of lives/health lost.