Saturday, December 13, 2008

Live poker is personal.....

It takes a lot more courage to play live poker than it does to play online for sure. When I play online I can three bet someone with air without batting an eye, I can be stuck $4,000 and not be phased in the least, or I can misplay a hand and immediately shake it off. None of this is easy when playing live poker. Last night I played a hand so miserably I don't even want to discuss it. I'll just say some maniac flopped a set on me and before I knew what happened I had lost everything I had in front of me (about $4600) and I was on my way home. It is WAY more disheartening to lose playing live than it is online, because you have to deal with embarrassment, having a losing image at the table, and trying to recoup your loses at a painfully slow pace (compared to online). I decided that I would try to slow down a bit and maybe only play half a day of poker and just try to book a win today. I played about 1,000 hands online and luckily got a seat in a game where a really bad player was playing 10/20 NL (6 max game). I ended up winning around $2,000 today so that took away a little bit of the sting of the $4,200 I lost playing live last night. So, I have had quite a few days recently where I won $5k+ and even some right around $10k, but losing $4k live feels way worse than those winning days felt good. Oh well, that's just the way it goes sometimes.

My buddy Justin and his girlfriend, Niki, have had a trip planned to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for a few months now. They half jokingly invited me to go with them a while ago and I surprised them by booking my trip last week when the trip was only 2 weeks away. Molly and I are leaving Vegas on the 17th and getting to Cabo around noon and we'll be back in Vegas on the 22nd. I just booked my flight home for Christmas today and I won't be home until 10pm on the 23rd, but I am staying until January 2nd so I can attend Justin's New Years bash he has planned. I will try and post some pictures on here from our trip. At least this time I can be sure I will have some pictures to post, because I am sure the girls will take plenty.

In case anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas I want the same thing I asked for last year....if you plan on giving me anything I prefer you either save your money and buy yourself something and/or donate whatever you planned on spending on me to the charity of your choice. The thought of donating stuff got me thinking about something I have always wanted to do....

I always had heard about "The David Letterman Scholarship", but all I really knew about it was that your GPA had nothing to do with it. I just looked it up and "The goal of the scholarshp (haha, brilliant! I just copied and pasted this from the site and the little red line popped up, letting me know that the word "scholarship" was misspelled...so I will leave it like that for you to see the irony of this scholarship) is assist average students who have a creative mind. Winners are selected primarily based on creativity."

I originally thought the scholarship was a little less structured that that, but it still gave me my idea. I never had a shot to win a scholarship of any kind, but then again, why would I? After all, I was a horrible student (Slightly above a 2.0 GPA), I didn't excel in any sports, I was from a wealthy family, I am white, and the most obvious reason....I never even considered applying for one. However, I want to pass on my legacy to some other under achieving, upper class, slacker of a kid. If for no other reason than for the comedic value that will it will bring to an otherwise VERY boring class day. I mean can you imagine when the undeserving class clown gets to walk on stage, shake the principal's hand, and accept his $500 or $1,000 scholarship? I am going to talk to one of my friends that teaches at Central High School and see what I have to do to get this scholarship implemented for this year's Class Day.

Here are the requirements:
-Must have less than a 3.0 GPA.
-Must come from an middle/upper class family.
-Must be attending Indiana Univeristy.
-Must have played at least one varsity sport his/her (can't imagine it ever going to a girl) senior year.
-Must have one letter of reference from a teacher stating his/her level of under-achievement.
-Comedic value of application will be taken into consideration.

It will most likely be a cash scholarship of $500 or $1,000 value.

Can you think of any other guidelines that should be considered for my scholarship?

1 comment:

Steven said...

I completely agree about live poker. My bad days of playing live have messed me up way more than any bad day online, even though I've lost much more online than I ever have live.

I've pretty much stopped playing live. I need to play online at least 25 days out of the month, and a bad day live takes at least 3 productive days out of me. My last really bad outing live killed my feel for the game for over a week. I didn't lose online, but broke even for about 25k hands.