Friday, January 30, 2009

Going, Going....Back to Back....

It is possible I have won more in back to back days that I played, but I think this is a new record for me. Yesterday I won $7,746 and today I won $7,558 for a whopping two day total of $15,304!

Today I only played about 3 hours, but I did play almost all 5/10 and probably averaged 9 tables at a time. Basically, I only lost one big pot all day and I managed to win the rest of the big pots I played. The big pot that I lost was on the only 3/6 table I played today and it was a hand I decided to play tricky by just smooth calling a player's 3bet with AA. He flopped a set of Jacks and stacked me, but it probably would have turned out the same no matter how I played it. I was on the good end of one really sick cold deck today at that same 3/6 table. Here is the hand so you can see for yourself:http://www.pokerhand.org/?3787492

I also played one of the biggest pots I have ever played in a 5/10 game online. The other player played this hand very strange and tried to make a hero call of my overbet on the river....oops! http://www.pokerhand.org/?3787532

So Hold'em Manager gives a statistic on adjusted EV (expected value) that is supposed to show you how well you are running, but it only takes all-in situations into consideration when determining how well you are running. It really messes with my confidence when my Hold'em Manager tells me I have run ahead of expectation, but there is just so much that it can't take into consideration that I really shouldn't let it affect me the way it does. For example: Today I obviously ran SUPER hot to win as much as I did, but according to Hold'em Manager I ran below expectation by about $500. There are other days when I know I ran like crap and everything bad that could have possibly happened to me did and hold'em manager tells me that I ran $2,000 above expectation.

I just read a pretty cool blog written by another poker player explaining how he feels about running good or bad and he explains that you should only be concerned about things you can control when thinking about poker results and EV. The three things he says you can control are:

* You playing with your game selection standards
* You playing in whatever state of mind you’re in
* You playing when and however long you play

If you want to read his blog for yourself it is pretty in depth and very poker jargon filled, but it is located here: http://blogs.cardrunners.com/internetpokers/poker-is-a-whore-1232943829

1 comment:

JakeGint said...

Hey, nice blog. Found you through a Swan recommendation.

I have a "stupid noob" query. I thought online poker for money was illegal in the States?

Are you allowed to play it because you live in Vegas?

Thanks.