Thursday, January 8, 2009

Scammed by bum....

Josh and I were on our way home at 4am coming from a 4 hour marathon session of 4/8 mixed game at the Rio and I had to stop and get gas. Some black bum came walking around from the back of the gas station and started in on me...His story was he that he was new in town and just moved here from St. Louis 2 weeks ago and had a job at the Palms as a cook in the Buffet. Apparently his car had run out of gas and he had left it parked for two days at the Auto Zone across the street and someone had stolen the battery out of his car. However, they had a used battery to sell him at Auto Zone and it only cost $10. I said "So what you are telling me is you need me to give you $10." He said "Well....could you do $20? I am gonna need to get gas too." He even said he would pay me back the $20 if I would just drop by the buffet at the palms with my girl and even Josh if I wanted to bring him along. All I had to do was tell the people at the buffet that the "Black Guy" sent me and they would know who I was talking about and let me in. I can't imagine a way that this could go wrong! I told him I would see if I had $10, of course I only had a $20 so I just gave it to him and told him to get some gas too. Obviously, I didn't believe his story in the first place, but I didn't really care. He clearly needs the $20 more than I do so I gave it to him.

As soon as we got in the car Josh told me that guy had told him the same exact story 6 months ago. Man, that guy sure is unlucky...twice he has had his battery stolen out of his car, but thankfully Auto Zone has had used batteries on sale for $10 each time (as if Auto Zone even keeps used batteries on hand to sell). Not to mention...that guy sure moves alot. I mean just 6 months ago he had only been in Vegas for 2 weeks and as of today he had just moved here only 2 weeks ago. That means he had to move here, move away, and move back all in 6 months time...it must be work related or something I guess.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another act of kindness. Good job! I tried your idea of paying for the car behind me at the drivethru - was not very fulfilling since it was dark and I could not see his face. I will try again in the daytime.

Anonymous said...

Your heart was in the right place

DAD

gqb30612 said...

Pat, I frown upon your act of "kindness." By rewarding such lame behavior, you are punishing the rest of society, of which I am a card-carrying member. Humans are a member of the Animal kingdom, and intelligent animals do not share their food or things that could be traded for food so willingly. By doing so, we are allowing the poorer members of the gene pool to reproduce, which will increase the likelihood of species inferiority and extinction down the line. I don't want humans to be instinct, so please do not aid that cause.

Anonymous said...

pat, next time that bum comes up to you tell him you want to go and buy that battery and help him install it- just to watch him squirm!