Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Quick poker experiment...

I really want to raise my overall win rate (obviously), but I am going to spend the next 8 days focusing on maximizing my win rate instead of maximizing my potential money earned. Hopefully, my experiment will help me maximize my potential money earned in the future. I am going to limit myself to only playing 8 tables, because I think my overall quality of play suffers significantly when I play 10 and especially 12. I am also going to only play 2/4 NL for these next 8 days and I hope to play 20,000 hands during this stretch. A while ago I put some serious effort into increasing my money won without showdown and I think it had a pretty positive impact on my overall win rate. Since then I have sort of let that mind frame go by the wayside and I have started to suffer in money lost without a showdown. This is referred to as "the red line", because it shows up on graphs in red. My goal for these 20,000 hands is to actually show a profit with my red line. I think I can get my win rate up to 8bb/100 at 2/4 NL if I can make this improvement on my red line.

I haven't done a poker challenge like this in a while so it will be kinda fun to have something to shoot for instead of just playing to make the most money everyday.

Summary of Goals through February 11th (in order of importance):
1. Show a profit with my red line
2. Play 20,000 hands
3. Achieve a win rate higher than 8bb/100

Rules for Goals:
1. Play no more than 8 tables.
2. Play only 2/4 NL, (unless a huge fish is playing higher).

This is quite a bit of playing for me and probably will take about 40 hours in the next 8 days. A win rate of 8bb/100 should result in around $6,400.

I am going to hit the sack for now. I have a good feeling about my chances for success in this challenge and I think it will help my motivation having something to shoot for.

EDIT: When I woke up today I decided it was silly to drop down and play 2/4 NL instead of just doing the same experiment at 5/10. Since I am a winning player at 5/10 I will just do the same experiment here and hopefully win double (or more) the amount of money.

No comments: