Monday, March 16, 2009

I wanna be a go getter....

My good friend, Landon, was talking to me one day about what he thinks one of his greatest life skills is. He claims that what separates people from sucking and not sucking in life in general is the ability to learn to do new things that they want to accomplish and most importantly having the motivation to actually get started and follow through on them. He says that both him and his brother, Andy, are both great at doing this. It should come as no surprise that they are two of my most successful friends.

Landon claims that just about any task you are wanting to accomplish should begin with a google search on your desired topic and end with a "See, that wasn't so tough". It is very simple when you break it down like that. The hard part for most people lies in the motivation factor. The act of doing whatever you want to accomplish is usually very easy, but getting started can be quite the hurdle to overcome sometimes.

I have decided that the longer you put things off the chances of them not happening increase exponentially. For me the things I want to be more of a go getter on are always really simple things and each passing day that I don't take care of them makes them that much harder for me to do the following day. For example: If I don't pay the bills the first day I think about doing it I am much less likely to pay them the next day. If I don't cut my finger nails the first time I notice they need cut there is a pretty good chance they will get way longer than I like them...the same applies to shaving and getting my haircut. I mean sometimes I will plan on getting my haircut for 3 weeks before I actually get it cut and that is just ridiculous. Each day I don't write my blog it gets that much tougher to write a new entry. Each day I don't go to the gym, each day I don't eat healthy, each day I don't wash my car or buy the new windshield wipers it currently needs, each day I don't go to get the flat tire in my trunk repaired and my oil changed, each day I don't clean my fish tank....it get that much tougher to get started on. NONE of those things take more than an hour to do and I could probably get all of them done in less than 3 hours if I really hustled.

Today I vow to be more of a go getter and it started with my going to the gym today for the 3rd time in 5 days, eating healthy for the last week, writing my first blog entry in about a month in a half, and reviewing some of yesterdays hands before I begin today's session (I always say I am going to do that, but I NEVER do). I will get started on that other laundry list (speaking of laundry, that is probably the best example of this yet!).....tomorrow. See there I go again, already putting things off to another day! No, but seriously...I can only do so much in one day before I get my poker fix in.

Thanks for reading and I am sorry it took me song long to update.

4 comments:

gqb30612 said...

What a timely post given my recent exercise motivation.

Anonymous said...

Great post and thanks for the shout out. Keep in mind that this not only applies to small tasks that you already know how to do, but tasks that you don't know how to do. Those are the big ones, the ones that breed success.

Anonymous said...

great post, really made me think about my current situation.
Very motivating

Anonymous said...

So true and I definitely struggle with this as well. What's REALLY crazy is how much it all comes down to that very first step.

You're sitting there looking at your fingernails or thinking about exercising or whatever it is....and then you just say "OK I'm going to do it" and take the literal first step....well at that point it's pretty much DONE.

Probably some catchy saying in there somewhere...