Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Moral of the story: Don't be a smart alleck...

So about 4-5 months ago I went to get my oil changed and I drug along all three of my friends that were in town; Matt, Jason, and Brian. After about 20 minutes the technician came in to get me so that he could begin the hustle of showing me how my wipers, air filter, transmission fluid, washer fluid, and every other possible thing that can be changed for a small fee at a quickly lube type place was way over due and needed to be changed immediately if I cared at all about both my car and myself living a long life. This wasn't my first rodeo involving getting hustled by a quicky lube guy so as I followed him out of the waiting room I turned to my friends and said "here we go...". I didn't intend for the tech to hear me, but he clearly did and he said back to me rather confrontationall "What's that?" He caught me off guard and as badly as I wanted to I couldn't come up with any way to defend myself and I sheepishly replied with an honest answer "Um, I just said here we go". Since I had made it apparent that I thought he was about to try to hustle me he tried to extra convincing about how vital all of these changes and repairs were. Since the cat was already out of the bag that I wasn't buying any of this guy's nonsense I was rather short with him and just said that I didn't want any of his recommendations. Needless to say, this guy wasn't a fan of my negative attitude.

Fast forward to the next morning...my front right tire had a nail in it and was totally flat. Brian, Jason, and I changed the tire...it wouldn't normally take more than one person to change a tire, but these two were so hungover that together they totaled less than a full person. I made a joke about how the tech probably put a nail in my tire on purpose because I was a smart alleck when he was trying to "help" me.About a month after that another tire was low on air...no big deal I stopped at the gas station for a can of fix-a-flat and reapired the tire myself while Kevin and Josh sat in the car and laughed at me as I got it all over my hands. About another month after that when Clint and I were leaving the Wynn, my tire was totally flat and we had to get a cab home. That tire required two cans of fix-a-flat, but then when my car got up to 70 M.P.H. It began to shake.

Right now I am Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express being the go-getter that I vowed to be...getting my spare (with a nail in it) reapired and balancing the tire with the two cans of fix-a-flat in it. Don't worry, the tech found a nail in ANOTHER tire as well.

At first I was joking, but I am not so sure I don't really believe that the tech at the first quicky lube put a nail in all FOUR of my tires!

Moral of the blog: Don't be a smart alleck the technicians at quicky lubes...they can make your life pretty miserable. Then again, I probably just got unlucky with my flat tire luck. Apparently there is as much variance involved in flat tires as there is poker...who knew?

1 comment:

gqb30612 said...

This entry amuses me greatly. It is also disturbing if what you are insinuating could be true.