Friday, March 27, 2009

Running super hot, monster noises, and a 24 hour lock-in

It is kind of boring for me to write blogs that have only poker content in them, but that is pretty much all I have been doing lately and its all I have to write about at the moment. I had been struggling with motivation a bit in early March and I got somewhat sloppy with my play. Once I got back from my visit to Evansville I wrote down some goals for the upcoming 35 day stretch that I was going to be in Vegas without anything else on going on. Basically my main goal was to make $20,000 over that 35 day stretch and I wanted to do it with a mix of playing 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10 NL. I determined that I would need to play about 67,000 hands and run at my normal win rate in order to make that much money. To play that many hands in 35 days meant that I would have to average around 5 hours/day of 8 tables at a time. I kinda nixed the idea of playing very much 2/4, because it seems silly to me when I know I have an edge in the 5/10 games to play smaller limits. Anyway, I have been playing almost all 5/10 and mixing in some tables of 10/20 when the full ring games run. After my first 13 days I was up around 6-7,000 and I was pretty close to being on the pace I wanted to be. However, my 14th day I won almost 7,000 and my 15th day I won almost 8,000! It was a pretty awesome two days as it seemed like I just never lost any decent sized pots...and I didn't.

So, what changed? I definitely ran great when it came to being on the good side of the coolers, but I felt like I made some drastic improvements in my attitude and play. My friend, Jeremy and I had been discussing our river play quite a bit and I decided that I was really going to focus on being MUCH more aggressive on the river and winning more pots that I would normally just give up on. It is pretty amazing how successful this new style has been for for me. Sometimes you look really foolish when you get called and you have air, but people just fold so often on the river it more than makes up for it. It has also been pretty entertaining for me to play this style and having the mindset of being a RIVER MONSTER! I have been rewarding myself for successful aggressive river plays that I wouldn't normally make by growling very loudly (much like a real life river monster might) and making a clawing motion with my hand at my computer screen. I hope you all enjoy the mental picture that just gave you and I promise that I really have been doing that! RAAAWR!

Yesterday I ended up losing about $2,200 online and it was a bit of a set back after my two huge days online. I could feel myself losing my focus a little bit so I quit after only a couple of hours, because I didn't want my surging confidence to be rattled by a long poor session. I then decided to go play a live session and I ended up playing for almost 10 hours and booking a $3100 win so it wasn't such a bad day after all.

Speaking of long sessions...anyone reading this blog has been cordially invited to the first annual 24 hour lock-in taking place in the Bellagio Poker Room which starts on Friday, April 3rd at noon. Josh and I came up with the idea since neither one of us has never played a super long session like that. It should be interesting and hopefully some more people will join us.

I am taking tomorrow (today) off from poker because I have been playing way too much lately and I want to rest my mind for a day or two.

No comments: