Thursday, December 11, 2008

A good day, but some weird hands....

I played a little under 5 hours online and won $4181 and then I went to the Bellagio to play 10/20 I ended up playing there for about 5 hours as well. I won just under $800 there. The games have been pretty bad in general during the tournaments that have been running. It seems like everyone playing in the games plays for a living and there are no soft spots at all. People are 3betting constantly which is so atypical of a normal live passive type of game. Basically, it is just a bunch of internet wiz kids all playing against each other.

Anyway, I want to talk about a couple of hands I played. One of them just because it was unique and one because I want to see if I made a mistake or a correct call.

The first hand an early position player made raised it to $80, one other player called, and I called with 45 of diamonds. The flop was Ad Jh 8c and everyone checked. The turn was the 3d. So now I had a flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. The original raiser checked and the other player bet $180, I called, the other player folded. The river was an offsuit Ten and he checked to me. I contemplated bluffing the river for a moment and then decided I would just give up on the hand, because it felt like he was trying to induce a bluff from me anyway. I checked and he said "you win" and folded his hand towards the dealer and I instantly said "No, you win", but held onto my cards. The dealer quickly grabbed his cards and jammed them into the muck and I kind of just sat there as the dealer started pushing me the pot. I took the pot and as I was handing my cards to the dealer the other player realized what I said and said something like "What? How High?". I told him I had 5 high and and he just smiled and said "Wow!". He clearly folded the winner and I felt kind of bad for taking a pot that I shouldn't have one, but that is how the rules in poker work. Anyway, I won a $630 pot that I shouldn't have and I offered to give him a $60 rebate, because I felt bad. He seemed to think that was a reasonable offer by me and he took the money and that was that.

The next hand, I raised it to $80 from utg with AK of spades, the aggressive Canadian to my left said "I have to raise here" and he raised it to $340 total, and a guy in late position just smooth called the $340. I had a very tight image (obviously) and I decided that I could make both of them fold hands like other AKs or maybe even QQ and I raised it to $1180 total and I had about $3400 more left. The Canadian folded in disgust and the other kid thought for a while before he put me all-in. I didn't like it one bit, but I really didn't feel like he had smooth called with AA or KK although it was very possible he held one of those hands. Anyway, I did some math in my head and estimated there was about $6,000 in the pot and I had to call $3400 more. I thought for a couple of minutes and eventually the Canadian called the clock on me. I ended up calling and he had the AK of clubs...SHEW! They let us chop the pot and we split the Jerky Canadian's money. I ran some math when I got home and if his range was AA, KK, QQ, AKs, and AKos I was profiting about $600 by making the call and if he could only have AA, KK, AK or AKs there I was making about $440 by calling. If he had only KK or AA I was losing about $1200 by calling. Basically, there was just too much money in the pot to fold and I ended up making the correct call, but it wasn't very much fun doing so!

Time to hit the sack...I have an 11am tee time tomorrow (today really, because it is 3:52 am).

Night. Night.

No comments: