Sunday, April 5, 2009

I got a great deal on a new book!

I have to admit, I felt like a bit of a sucker when considering buying the most recent poker book I bought. Then I started to think about it from more of a business point of view and realized it was pretty much a no-brainer. I know what you are thinking already..."Geez, Pat is such a tightwad. How can he be fretting over buying a stupid book and having to rationalize it as a business decision before he does?" Well, not so fast there big spender...this was no ordinary book...this one was only 80 pages and it cost....wait for it......$1850!!! Now I really know what you are thinking...."Geez, Pat is such an idiot. Why would he EVER spend $1850 on a stupid 80 page poker book?"

I had read lots of great reviews on it and once I started thinking about whether the book would be worth it or not I realized that even if the book sucked and I ended up only learning ONE thing from it would definitely pay for itself over my lifetime. There is almost a zero percent chance that the book won't help me in some way and judging from the reviews I have read it will probably help me a great deal in which case it will pay for itself many times over.

Today I took most of the day off from playing poker and went outside to lay on the trampoline and read my new book. I only ended up getting through about 16 pages of the book because 1. I am a an amazingly slow reader and 2. I took detailed notes on everything I read and worked through all of the examples on my own. If I just read something I don't retain much, but if I make myself take notes on something I usually retain it very well.

Once my brain was full for the day I decided to come inside and play a quick session to try out the new stuff I had learned. Here is a statistical breakdown of my 1.5 hour session after reading today.



Thats right...$3700 in 1.5 hours. Now, obviously the book didn't improve my game THAT much, and I clearly ran super duper hot. I did learn some new stuff today that I think will definitely improve my game and I look forward to learning more stuff soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It paid for itself in the first 1 1/2 hours!

Anonymous said...

pat, you need to write a poker book and sell it for $1 dollar less than the other book!