Thursday, June 3, 2010

A couple of hero folds....

Hand #1

5/10 Rio

4h 5h
6 way limp
J45 rainbow
BB leads out 50
I raise to 245
Button shoves for 410
BB calls 360 more
I call 155 more.

Turn K
BB shoves for 1k (i cover him)
I fold.

River 3

BB 44 set of 4's
Button 67 rivered straight

This was a pretty standard gross spot that you can end up in a pot that is multi-way and unraised. I didn't like calling the extra $155 on the flop, but I was getting such a good price it was just be ridiculous to consider folding. I thought that it was also possible that the BB could have had a draw because he knew I was not going to be able to re-raise since the button's raise didn't re-open the betting. If he goes crazy on the turn (like he did) I can be relatively sure that he isn't on a draw and was just trying to trap. It was a pretty easy fold, but it is never fun to put so much money in the pot and then just give up on it. When I put most of the money in I had no way of knowing that my hand wasn't the best so I think I played it pretty close to perfect.

Hand #2

5/10 Rio

2h2c in cut off.
6 way limped pot.

Flop Ad 2d 4c
Checks to me I bet 40
Button calls
SB calls
Utg shoves for 240
I call 200
Cut off makes it 800
I have 1200 left.
I fold
Cut off has 53o
Utg has 6d 9d

Turn Ah
River Qd

:(

Even though I felt like I had the utg player beat I still elected to just flat call the extra $200 on the flop because I had zero fold equity vs. him and I still had players left to act behind me. I planned on leading on any blank turn card for a large bet if any of the players behind me called the $200 flop raise. I assumed they would both be folding most hands and possibly peeling with some of their draws. I did not expect the button to be re-raising here. I just decided he was never doing this with a hand I was ahead of. I suppose he could have A4, 4d5d, or 4d3d sometimes, but I just felt very strongly that he smooth called my flop bet with a set of 4's and it was very likely that I was going to be drawing to only one out.

It turns out I made a good fold, but I would have made LOTS more money had I called, because I would have ended up filling up on the turn leaving them both drawing dead.

I really feel good about my live play. I have been very patient and made some really good folds and have only been on the fun side of a cooler once (my AA vs. his KK). Despite all that I am up about $3,000 in 4-5 sessions. That is nothing outstanding or anything, but I don't think everyone would make some of those folds and I have managed to turn what could have been a break even stretch into a +$3,000 stretch.

It's getting late and I am supposed to play golf in the morning....nighty night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The 54 hand is pretty interesting. Do you think the guy who had 44 should have a turn shoving range there? What about the river? Do you think he should check to you twice? Cool possibilities to consider in a protected pot like that.

The 22 hand I could see being a fold live MUCH more often than online. NH. If you are behind the cutoff (or the button?), then you're WAY behind and that's what stinks about trying to call it off there.

Reid Young

Reid's Twitter account: https://twitter.com/Shootaaa

thakilla said...

I assume you didn't see that this blog was written in 2010, but I will try to answer you anyway. I think the guy with 44 was just trying to see a safe turn card before he put his last 1k in the pot. If his goal was to get me to put more money in with a worse hand I suppose he should be checking the turn and river to me, but I think he just wanted me out of the pot since it was pretty big already.

I also noticed that I screwed up the hand history with the c/o and button likely mixed up somehow. No one is really ever just calling a raise and then re-raising over a short stack player without the nuts. It became pretty clear that he was just trapping on the flop. There is basically no other hand besides the nuts that he would decide to go crazy with here since the utg player was already all-in.

Like I said, these hands were over 2 years ago and I don't really have any recollection about them other than I vaguely remember writing this blog. Basically, I don't have any more information/insight about the hands than you do since I might as well have been reading them for the first time tonight.