Thursday, April 1, 2010

Not much to report...

I haven't blogged in a long time, because it is no fun blogging about doing nothing special. Poker has been really slow for me lately. I have been running poorly (both in EV and in cooler situations), but continuing to work very hard on my game. It is pretty disheartening to put so much effort into it without getting the same return I would like to see. I know the games are much tougher now than they used to be, but as much attention as I put into game selection I should be winning at a much higher rate than I am. Oh well, more hard work and staying focused will end up solving the issue eventually so that is what I intend to do.

While there haven't been any poker successes to write about lately it is the time of the year that makes me feel most like a professional poker player....tax time. I went yesterday to get my taxes done and I'll be sending them off tomorrow. While I hate having to pay taxes it does make me feel pretty good about myself for having done so. It seems like people always want to know how you decide when you are a professional poker player. I think that a pretty definitive answer to that question is if you pay taxes as a professional poker player then you are one. If not, you aren't. If you do pay taxes as a professional poker player and continue to stay in action then I would say you are wildly successful. Think about how much of a rake that is to overcome! First you pay actual rake and then the government rakes what is left...that hardly seems fair. So even though I haven't been doing as well as I would like, I can hold my head high knowing I have paid my taxes and I am still plugging away.

No comments: